Monday 3 March 2008

Diary week 7

Monday was a rest day, but on Tuesday I managed to get just over an hour on the turbo trainer.

On Wedensday the wife and I had our weekly gym session, I need to get more specific about my exercise regime and so next week I will be getting a new program specifically design to complement my cycling training.

Saturady was an early start, I was on my bike just before 6.30 and at e's before 7. Unfortunately e was not quite ready so we did not get on the road until just after 7. He had organised the route. All was going well, we were making good time and decided to stop at 9am at Wisborough Green. Even with the strong wind we were making excellent progress. Things started to go wrong at this point as e's managed to run over a drawing pin and so we spent 20 minutes changing the tyre. We also proved that you need to know how to work the CO2 canaster before trying on a ride, still the hand pump worked well. We set off and after an hour e was struggling. He had eaten some malt loaf instead of a power bar during our stop and clearly he was not getting the energy he required. We stopped again and had another power bar each. This seemed to do the trick and e was soon back at full strength. Unfortunately the impact of the various delays meant I was going to be late getting home which would be a big problem for the wife.

Fortuanately we had the wind to our backs and once on to the A31 we used our big cogs, and manged to get from Alton to Guildford in under an hour and I was only 15 minutes late, giving me enough time to have quick shower before taking the kids to their swimming lesson (with sandwiches from the wife to keep me going ;-) )

Overall with the extra to and from e's I managed to do 95 miles. I have to say I found the 95 miles much harder than the 100 miles the prevous week. Although I really enjoyed cruising at 23 miles an hour using the big cog. I guess we all need to pray for a south westerly wind to help us on our way (and no drawing pins!!)

I am starting to get concerned that although I am ahead of the training programme on the individual longest rides but I am not keeping up with the overall weekly total. Hopefully I can rectify the situation once the clocks change and I am able to cycle to/from work and it the evenings.

No comments: