Monday 25 February 2008

Diary Week 6

An interesting week, half term so the kids are off on holiday.
I did not manage any turbo training; however I did manage to cycle to work for one day.
I had the route planned out which kept me off the main roads, and going to work I managed to keep to route no problem. The only thing that went wrong was I lost one of my reflective ankle bands.
On the way back was a different story, my front light went out just after I started to ride and I managed to get lost a couple of times. Some of the roads did not have street lights and so when I car approached it blinded me! Pretty scary stuff. To make things worse I forgot my mobile phone, so I was on my own. Fortunately I managed to get my light working half way through the ride. However, the wife was none too impressed and told me in her own inimitable style that it was a dumb idea riding to work before the clocks change. So I will not being doing that again for a while.
Friday I had the day off - it was great spending some time with the kids. Then in the late afternoon I went to the Nutritionist. It was really worthwhile, I felt I got a lot out it. The plan is to gradually improve my diet, and I am sure the supplements will help.
As it was half term the kids are not swimming on Saturday and Sunday, it means I am not limited to return by a set time. We had guests on Saturday so that meant Sunday for my ride.
It was warm over night and so no problems with frost. I had my route planned to go via Leith Hill - Iain's suggested route. The early hills certainly got raised my pulse. I then followed the back roads to Cranleigh then down to Petworth, back up via Hasslemere and Hindhead before coming back via Cranleigh and Dorking. The total ride was just over 100 miles!!! A real milestone for me, and I managed to do this at an average speed of 14.5mph. I think that as soon as I start to use the "big cog" I can increase this average speed as currently my top speed on the flat is just under 20mph.

No comments: