Thursday 27 March 2008

Diary update week 10

Monday meant flying to places foreign, my hotel had a gym so I was able to cycle for 27 km on the staic bike, plus a bit of a work out.

Friday the family were off to the brother-in-laws' just outside Basingstoke. The wife was kind enough to look after the kids and bring drive them over, whilst I rode via Farnham and Winchester on a 67 mile trip.

The wind was strong and gusty, I not sure why but it seemed that I was always cycling into the wind. Just outside Winchester whilst going entering a roundabout going straight over a complete idiot decided to turn left from the right hand lane at high speed, cutting me up and very nearly killing me. To be honest I don't think he even saw me. I certainly callled him a few names as he sped off into the distance. The rest of the journey was pretty uneventful, however I have to say that the A31 is a must nicer road to cyle down than the A33 which just seemed to be a series of hills and valleys. Still arrived only half an hour after the rest of the family and just ahead of the rain.

I had planned to do a long ride to the coast and back with Rich and e on Sunday, but the snow stopped that. So e and I agreed to go out on Monday morning nice and early. We did my 50+ mile route with the hills and made very good time. With the benefit of e's flashy Garmin computer we also found out that on the ride our total ascents was over 1,000m. The final ascent up to Newlands corner was my best ride up that particular hill so it looks like the gym sessions are having a positive impact.

No comments: