Monday 17 March 2008

Diary Week 9

I knew was travelling this week and so was commited to get a turbo session in on Tuesday.
Wednesday's gym session went well with my new programme. Hopefully this will help to build up the strength in my legs and shoulders to complement the endurance training from all the rides.

Thursday up at stupid o'clock to catch my flight to Germany. The meetings went well and got back to the airport in plenty of time for my return flight. I had already checked in and so went straight to the long security queue. Whilst waiting get a text from BA - flight cancelled!!
Some idiot decided to run across the runway at Heathrow. So after much mucking about and siting in waiting lounges and on planes finally got home 3 hours late at 11pm.

Friday up at just after stupid o'clock for another journey to meetings. Again these went well and this time I got home in the afternoon so got to see the kids plus the wife (hurray!!)

Saturday started at 6am, breakfast plus supplements and then out on the bike to meet the rest of the team at 7am. Everyone was ready and we were soon on our way. I thought that we were in for a boring time as we had just planned to go down the A31 to Winchester and back plus a few local miles around Guildford. As it happens I really enjoyed it. For the first time we started to ride like a team and the "chain-gang" practice was excellent. The miles just flew by. Overall we averaged 16.5miles which was really good going as we had a couple of team talk stops plus a puncture (Simon not Iain this time!!).
At one point I decided to take the lead and accelerated without changing gear. At the next stop the boys were joking about my legs going round in a "blur". I have just checked my ride computer and my maximum cadence was 174!!!! Perhaps a world record!
We also had a chance to chat about our fundraising progress (the whole reason for the ride). The subject of Alan Shearer and Adrian Chiles bikeride for sport relief came up. We all agreed that they had done a fantastic job, perhaps now they are warmed up they would like to join us on a "proper" bike ride!! ;-) If Alan or Adrian read this please contact any of the team we would love to have you join.

No comments: