Tuesday 8 April 2008

Diary update week 12

As a result of the clocks going forward I am now able to cycle in the evenings.
On Tuesday I actually managed to get home early and was delighted when the wife suggested that I go for a quick bike ride before dinner. So I headed off through West Clandon and then turned left down the A246. I was making get progress going more than 20 miles an hour up and down the hills. It was only when I turned around to head back that I worked out just how much the wind was helping me. Still I managed to ride more than 20 miles.

Wednesday I decided it was time to ride to work again. It was amazing the difference a couple of months has made to my fitness levels and my speed, I averaged a couple of miles an hour faster than my previous ride in February and felt really good. Unfortunately what has not changed is my lousy sense of direction, I managed to get lost again (at least I now know where East Clandon and Send Prison are!!). But even after my 4 and a bit detour I still felt good.

e had told me that John was cycling to his house Friday afternoon / evening and then heading on to Worthing. This sounded like a nice opportunity to cycle to the coast together so I was up at 5.30 to get to e's for a 6.30 start to the ride. We made really good progress and John was doing really well considering he had ridden 85 miles the day before (although he did complain about the hills!!). The route down was excellent taking in some lovely villages. Unfortunately I picked up a slow puncture coming into Worthing. But I was lucky enough to have two experts in changing tyres with me. So whilst I did all the work they were able to chip in with advise and guidance cheers guys!!
Anyway it turns out that I did not check my tyre a closely as I should have done and on the way back from Worthing - having dropped John at his sister-in-laws for a well earned rest- I discovered that I had another slow puncture. I tried to get over this by just pumping it up again but it was no good and eventually we stopped again and e gave me his inner tube, we checked the tyre really carefully and would a small stone embedded in the tyre wall. This was removed and we were on our way again. I have to say that the difference between cycling with a slow flat and a fully pumped up tyre is amazing! So all in all I got back a bit later that expected but with another 100 miles under my belt.

The wife has organised a stall at the Send May Fair which should be a great opportunity to build up some local support and raise a bit of extra money. More about this in later blogs

Our total including gift aid is through the £10,000 which is fantastic and thanks to everyone who has sponsored us. It is the best investment that you will ever make!

No comments: