Monday 16 June 2008

Rest of week 22

I set off for Kent at 5.30 on Saturday morning. The weather was fantastic and I had a really nice route down the A25 then on to the A20. It was as I got onto the A20 that i got a bit lost - the road goes two ways you see and I went the wrong way. It was when I saw singposts for Brands Hatch that I suspected the error of my way. This probably added 6 miles or so. But I was in Kent and enjying the views. I crossed the South Downs between Lenham and Faversham. Possibly the scariest bit of the ride was on the A299. As I was brought up knowing this road to be dangerous I had a bit of a psychological barrier. But the adrenalin was pumping and I was certainly travelling at a good speed.

In the end I travelled the 102 miles at an average speed of 16.5 miles an hour which I was really pleased with as the majority of the roads were pretty undulating.

When I got to my Dad's my shoulder was aching, still the kids were pleased to see me and after applying a lot of ice to the shoulder it felt a bit better. As this was the last chance to get a long ride in before the event I think it was worth the pain.

No comments: